Sunday, February 3, 2013

Windows 8: File Access Denied

Wanted to try some Windows Phone 8 App development, so Microsoft forced me to install Windows 8 on one of my partitions since you can install WP8 SDK only on Windows 8 OS.

That's stupid on Microsoft part, when you come up with a new Mobile platform and want developers to build apps for your platform, you want to make it easier for them and NOT create stupid roadblocks in the way. But, I guess, that's why the response to Windows Phone 8 is less than expected at best.

Anyways, now on to more Windows 8 stupidity:

I am logged in to my machine as an administrator (heck, I am the only user) and I am trying to copy a file from one of my other machines on the network to a local drive and I get this message.

File Access Denied
You require permission from computer's administrator to make changes to this file.




Again, I am logged in as an administrator, so what gives.

Anyway, after a little googling, I did find a solution to the problem.

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type the following command:
net user administrator /active:yes

Type the following command to Map the network drive:
net use K: \\[Machine Name]\[Share Name] /u:[UserName]

Once, that's done you should be able to copy files.

No comments: